In Canada, driving in snow or cold weather is inevitable and staying safe and in control during inclement weather means having the right tires. So, where do we start?
There are many different winter tires on the market with different price tags on them. As every vehicle and driver is different, you must choose the correct winter tires according to your vehicle type and driving habits.
Here are some tips to help you find the perfect winter tire that balances both your needs and your budget! Remember, having a 3-peak mountain symbol on the tire means that the tire meets required performance criteria in snow testing for providing traction in harsh conditions!
Know Your Tire Size
- To find out the tire size you currently have, you can look at the sidewall of your current tires
- The format would look similar to this: 205/55R16
- 205 corresponds to the width of the tread in millimeters (the part of the tire that comes in contact with the road)
- 60 represents the ratio (as a percentage) between the top of the tire (sidewall height) and the width of the tread (section width)
- 16 represents the interior diameter of the tire, in inches (you can also think of this number as the wheel size you require, 16 = 16" wheels)
- For winter tires, you may be able to downsize your tires (to go to a smaller tire/wheel size) depending on your vehicle model. Downsizing will be more cost friendly as larger tires are more expensive, and smaller, narrower tires handle better in snow conditions.
- If you're unsure of the sizing, contact us and we'll be happy to help!
The Roads You Drive On And Driving Habits
- Depending on the roads you mainly drive on - city roads, side roads, highways etc., you should choose a tire that fits the roads. For example, if you drive a lot, or drive in areas where snow is not plowed as frequently, we would advise you to invest in better winter tires. If your vehicle is a compact vehicle, we would also advise to invest in better tires as compact cars are more likely to skid in poor conditions
- Knowing your driving habits is also an important factor to choosing tires. Look into investing into winter tires if you have a higher demand performance
- You can learn more about the tire structure and build on the manufacturer's website. If you are unable to physically see the tire beforehand, you can take a look at photos to see how the tread is designed. Large grooves help provide better traction on winter surfaces and helps displace snow and slush.
Same Tires All Around
- It's crucial to have the exact same tire on your vehicle. Mixing different tires (ie, front and rear tires aren't the same) is not a good idea as it can affect the driving performance.
- If one of your tire gets damaged, remember to replace it with an identical tire. In some cases, (ie, if your tires are mostly worn out), you will have to speak to an expert to get advice on the situation.
Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- If your vehicle is equipped with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System, we highly advise to purchase the Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors and install it on your winter wheels.
- The TPMS monitors the air pressure inside your vehicle and notifies you when there is an issue with a tire. This system helps keep you alert and notified of any issues.
- Remember to keep a budget and look at all the options available
- If you only purchase winter tires, then you will need to dismount your all season tires and mount your winter tires every season, or you can choose to purchase a set of winter wheels, making each season a simple tire swap.
Keep these tips in mind when shopping for your Winter Tires!
If you want to learn more about tire sizing for your Mazda, read this post!
Want to browse our selection of winter tires for your Mazda?
Mazda3 Sedan & Hatchback
Recommended Special 16" Winter Package | Mazda3 (2004 - 2013)
Recommended Special 16" Winter Package | Mazda3 (2014 - 2021)
Alloy Wheel and Winter Tire Package | Mazda3 (2014 - 2021)
Recommended Special 16" Winter Package | Mazda5 (2006 - 2017)
Recommended Special 16" Winter Package | Mazda6 (2014 - 2021)
Alloy Wheel and Winter Tire Package | Mazda6 (2014 - 2021)
Recommended Special 16" Winter Package | Mazda CX-3 (2016 - 2021)
Alloy Wheel and Winter Tire Package | Mazda CX-3 (2016 - 2021)
Recommended Special 16", 17" Winter Package | Mazda CX-30 (2020 - 2021)
Alloy Wheel and Winter Tire Package | Mazda CX-30 (2020 - 2021)
Recommended Special 17" Winter Package | Mazda CX-5 (2013 - 2021)
Alloy Wheel and Winter Tire Package | Mazda CX-5 (2013 - 2021)
Recommended Special 18" Winter Package | Mazda CX-9 (2016 - 2021)
Alloy Wheel and Winter Tire Package | Mazda CX-9 (2016 - 2021)
Alloy Wheel and Winter Tire Package | Mazda MX-5 & MX-5 RF (2016 - 2021)
Mazda's owners get a $50 Get-A-Grip Rebate when you purchase a set of 4 qualifying Mazda Approved Winter Tires. You can save even more with Manufacturer's mail-in rebates happening now!
Click here to view all the current rebates!
If you have any questions about Winter Tire Sizing and Fitment, our Mazda Tire Experts are here to answer all your questions. We also give great recommendations!